Is your nonprofit using versatile fundraising channels? Are you taking advantage of the different types of fundraising options? Using mobile giving, online donation pages, peer-to-peer fundraising or crowdfunding can maximize donations.
As donation software continues to evolve, your nonprofit can fall behind if you don’t take advantage of them.
A flexible fundraising approach and strong donors are important priorities for most nonprofits.
For many small nonprofits with limited resources, fundraising can be stressful and time-consuming.
You may still be using spreadsheets or a paper filing system to keep track of donors. Or you may be looking to streamline your fundraising to reduce pressure on your staff.
This is where donation software comes in.
It can make it easier to accept a wider range of donations and organize your fundraising efforts.
If you’re a small nonprofit, it’s easy to assume that you don’t need to invest in donation software.
Donation software can benefit nonprofits of all sizes. It can help your organization be more efficient with time and resources, for example. Even if you’re already having success with fundraising, it can help scale up your efforts.
Donation tools can help manage campaigns and donors. This can help you spend less time on admin activities.
With so many choices available, choosing the best donation software can be challenging. To make an informed decision, you need to weigh up each option and decide if it’s right for your nonprofit.
If you don’t have time for this, we’re here to help! We’ve rounded up some of the best donation software that can help nonprofits. Our list evaluates factors such as features, support, pricing, reputation and ease of use.
How Can Donation Tools Benefit Your Organization?
Donation tools can help with:
- Event management
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM) to build and maintain relationships with donors
- Data collection
- Campaign analytics
Depending on the type of donation software you choose, some of the benefits can include:
- Collecting detailed information about supporters
- Pulling reports on specific aspects of your fundraising
- Tracking metrics for individual fundraising campaigns
- Keeping track of supporter engagement
- Segmenting supporters into specific groups according to criteria
- Accepting registrations for fundraising events
- Sending donor communications, including invitations and thank you emails
How to Choose the Best Donation Software
Some of the features you can look for include:
- A flexible platform that can grow with your organization
- An affordable price for the value
- A user-friendly dashboard
- Integration with your nonprofit website
- Integration with your nonprofit accounting software
- Good technical support
- Integration with social media platforms
- A secure donation platform that protects donors and nonprofits
Our Top 10: The Best Donation Software
Donorbox is a powerful donation platform that uses state-of-the-art technology to help nonprofits maximize donations. Their software is simple to set up and can be integrated into your nonprofit website. They make it easy for nonprofits to promote fundraising campaigns and secure recurring donations from supporters.
Features we love:
- The simple set up means that nonprofits can start boosting donations in 15 minutes.
- Donorbox uses powerful security technology to keep nonprofits and donors safe. This includes fraud detection, SSL/TLS encryption, and tokenization of financial information.
- Nonprofits can set up custom donation amounts and add a description to show how they’ll spend them. This helps donors see the impact of their giving.
- Donation pages are mobile-friendly and are easy to customize to reflect branding. It’s simple for nonprofits to embed donation pages into their nonprofit website. They can also be set up as a popup widget.
- Donors have full control over their recurring donations. They can sign in anytime to edit their recurring plan, for example.
- With Text-to-give functionality, donors can easily donate from their mobile phone directly. It is easy, fast & flexible to setup.
- Donorbox integrates with the Salesforce Nonprofit Success Pack. This helps nonprofits easily analyze donor data and manage donor relationships.
- Donorbox also integrates with Zapier and MailChimp. This makes it effortless for nonprofits to unify their fundraising and admin activities.
- Nonprofits can accept donations through their Facebook page.
- Donorbox partners with Double the Donation to maximize employee contributions.
- Nonprofits can accept donations in various ways, including PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, and ACH and SEPA bank transfers.
- Nonprofits can accept donations in 20+ currencies, including USD, GBP, EUR, AUD, and CAD.
- Goal meters can inspire more donations.
- Nonprofits can ask their supporters to cover payment processing fees to maximize donations.
- Donorbox is compatible with CMS systems, including WordPress, Squarespace, Wix, and Weebly.
Donorbox has no upfront costs.
Donorbox charges a platform fee of 1.5% for that month’s donations. This is lower than its competitors.
It also has low payment processing fees:
- 0.8% and $0.30 per transaction for ACH bank payments (capped at a maximum of $5 per transaction)
- 2.9% and $0.30 per transaction for PayPal payments
- 2.9% and $0.30 per transaction for Stripe payments
Donorbox is a quick and easy way to boost your nonprofit’s fundraising efforts, particularly if you’re accepting recurring donations or multiple currencies.
The donor-friendly checkout process can encourage supporters to set up recurring donations.
Many small to medium nonprofits will be able to start using Donorbox for free. Donorbox charges a small platform fee of 1.5% for the entire month’s donations. Donorbox also has a good range of integration partners and makes it simple to manage donors.
Qgiv can be a good all-around option for securing donations. Nonprofits can create customized donation pages and use mobile giving and peer-to-peer fundraising.
Features we love:
- Nonprofits can customize donation pages in line with their branding.
- Nonprofits can customize donation receipts to show the impact of donations. This can let people see the value of their contribution as soon as they’ve donated.
- It’s easy to move to a different package as your organization grows and you want to access new features.
- Donation pages are mobile-friendly. This is great for supporters who donate through their smartphone.
- There is an option to invest in a handheld kiosk to accept on-site donations. This allows your organization to gather donations and take event registrations, for example.
The Start version of the platform has no contracts or monthly fees but only has minimal features. Nonprofits pay a transaction fee of 3.95% and $0.30 on all donations received through the platform.
There’s no upfront cost unless you choose a package option.
If nonprofits need more features, there are packages with monthly or quarterly billing. These start from $10 per month and can reach $399 per month for advanced features.
Nonprofits can add other products for an extra fee. This can allow nonprofits to scale up if the organization grows and needs extra support.
Qgiv can be a good choice for growing nonprofits who want flexibility. If peer-to-peer fundraising is your future goal, the Qgiv platform can be a good choice for this too. This platform has a higher processing fee than many of its competitors.
NeonCRM offers cloud-based CRM software for nonprofits of all sizes. It can be a good platform for growing nonprofits who want to engage with donors, manage memberships and organize events.
Features we love:
- Features include relationship tracking, event registration, volunteer management, email marketing, grant management, and survey building tools.
- NeonCRM can integrate with various tools, including QuickBooks, MailChimp and Constant Contact.
- Some packages can support peer-to-peer fundraising.
- All packages have email marketing, reporting functionality and volunteer tracking.
- There is also the option for donors to log in and update their details.
There are package options to suit nonprofits of different sizes.
For small nonprofits who only need basic features, pricing starts at $50 per month. This rises to $200 per month for larger nonprofits with a wider range of needs.
A payment processing fee of 2.9% is deducted from all funds raised through the software. There is also a fee of $0.30 per transaction.
The NeonCRM software can offer an all-around CRM platform for nonprofits. It can handle many of the key features that organizations may need as they grow.
If you’re looking to use crowdfunding tools, Fundly can be an option. There are no campaign deadlines imposed and nonprofits can take as long as they need to raise funds.
Features we love:
- It’s easy to customize donation pages.
- Nonprofits have the option to create a blog to support fundraising efforts. This can keep donors updated on fundraising progress.
- Social sharing is simple. Fundly can be easily integrated into social media channels. This makes it quick and easy to promote campaigns. With Facebook integration, donors can share campaigns with their friends to increase reach.
- Donation pages are mobile-friendly.
- Signing up with FundlyPro allows nonprofits to access 1:1 support from Fundly’s team of experts. They can provide fundraising advice and customer service support.
Nonprofits don’t need to pay upfront to use Fundly. A fee of 4.9% is deducted from all donations raised through the platform. On top of this, there is a credit card processing fee of 2.9% and $0.30 per transaction.
Fundly can be a good choice for organizations who want to take advantage of crowdfunding. It’s easy to use the platform, with no upfront costs and no timescale for raising funds. Social media integration makes it easy to get campaigns out to more potential donors. The platform fee is higher than many of Fundly’s competitors.
Funraise was built by nonprofit professionals. It’s aimed at growing nonprofits who need flexible fundraising software.
Features we love:
- Funraise can handle high volumes of donations. There’s little chance that you’ll run into problems if your fundraising takes off.
- Funraise’s range of tools can help nonprofits with a range of fundraising activities. This includes donation forms, peer-to-peer fundraising, text giving, recurring giving, and automated emails.
- The Funraise app allows nonprofits to accept in-person donations.
- The platform has a range of integrations. This includes MailChimp, Constant Contact, Double the Donation, Sage, Salesforce, QuickBooks, Stripe, PayPal and Apple Pay.
Unlike most donation tools, Funraise doesn’t offer packages. Instead, they provide custom quotes to reflect the specific needs of nonprofits.
Funraise can help nonprofits manage fundraising, donor management, and analysis. This can help nonprofits streamline their fundraising efforts.
OneCause offers fundraising solutions in four areas. These are mobile bidding and auctions, online giving, Text2GiveⓇ and peer-to-peer giving.
Features we love:
- Nonprofits can customize their online giving pages.
- Gamification tools can be added to donation pages to increase donor engagement.
- SmartPayⓇ tools allow nonprofits to collect donations and sell tickets for events. This can be done without downloading any software.
The Text2GiveⓇ plan comes in at $495 per year.
Other plans are tiered, depending on the extent of your needs. Peer-to-peer fundraising plans are split into Essentials, Professional and Enterprise plans, for example. A consultation request can confirm the pricing.
OneCause can be a unique choice for using mobile bidding and auctions to raise funds. The gamification tools can help to engage donors. One potential downside is the lack of pricing. This can make it hard for nonprofits to know if OneCause fits their budget.
CauseVox can help nonprofits with online fundraising. This includes peer-to-peer fundraising and crowdfunding. It also has a CRM system, which can help organize fundraising activities and build strong relationships with donors.
Features we love:
- The online donation system is easy for donors to navigate.
- Nonprofits can easily customize donation pages.
- Event registration fees can be integrated.
- Integrated email communications will be a feature in the future.
There are three price plans to suit a range of nonprofits:
The Basic plan can suit organizations with small budgets and limited needs. There is no monthly fee attached to this plan. A fee of 5% is deducted from donations secured through the platform.
The Standard plan is popular with mid-sized nonprofits. It includes onboarding and single-tier event registration tools. For nonprofits who can budget for an annual payment, it costs $139 per month. For nonprofits who prefer to pay on a month by month basis, it works out at $185 per month. There is also a platform fee of 2-4.25% on donations received through the platform.
Plus and Premium Growth plans are the most expensive options. They include a greater degree of flexibility with event registrations, integrations, and tracking. The monthly cost for these plans is $245 per month (paid annually) or $285 per month (paid monthly). There is also a platform fee of up to 3% on donations received through the platform.
Causevox can be an effective platform for peer-to-peer fundraising and crowdfunding. The simple navigation process can encourage more donors to complete the donation process. The processing fees on the Basic and Standard plans are higher than many of its competitors.
8. Double the Donation
Nonprofits can collect more donations through match gifting. Double the Donation can be a great choice for organizations who want to get involved in it.
Features we love:
- The widget allows donors to check if their employer is in the match gifting database. This lets them see if their donation will be eligible for matching.
- It’s easy to integrate into your website and donation pages. This makes it obvious to supporters that their donations can be matched.
- The 360MatchPro platform can increase match giving and automate donor outreach. This can help nonprofits raise more money and engage more donors. It’s aimed at organizations that have more than $25,000 in the annual match giving income.
Double the Donation offers two pricing plans. The most affordable option is the Premium plan, which costs $499 per year. This plan offers the integration benefits.
There is the option to try it on a risk-free basis for 14 days to see if it will benefit your nonprofit.
For nonprofits with a larger budget, the 360MatchPro plan starts at $3,000 per year.
Double the Donation can be a smart choice for maximizing donations.
9. Snowball Fundraising
Snowball Fundraising can be a good choice for nonprofits who only have a very small budget. Nonprofits can set up online donation pages, and use text giving and peer-to-peer giving.
Features we love:
- Donation pages are customizable and mobile-friendly.
- Donors can give via text message.
- Donors can give in two clicks. This can encourage more donors to complete the donation process.
- Nonprofits can sell tickets for fundraising events and collect donations through the platform.
- The CRM dashboard enables nonprofits to organize information, track campaigns, and receive donations.
- Fundraising thermometers can act as visual tools to inspire donors to give.
The Essential plan is the least expensive option and has no upfront cost. A fee of 2.9% and $0.30 per transaction is deducted from donations.
The Premium plan includes text giving, events and ticketing tools, and fundraising thermometers. It costs $549 per year. A fee of 2.2% and $0.30 per transaction is deducted from donations.
The Enterprise plan is the most expensive option and has a custom pricing set-up. This plan is for larger organizations with extensive fundraising needs.
The easy-to-use platform can encourage more potential donors to give. It offers a range of tools to increase donations and streamline fundraising efforts. This can suit small to medium nonprofits who want to scale up their fundraising.
10. Soapbox Engagement
Soapbox Engagement is for small nonprofits who use the Salesforce CRM program. It has a range of apps, including ones for donations, events, and advocacy.
Features we love:
- Salesforce saves the funds through the Donations app. Nonprofits can assign these funds to specific campaigns.
- Event registrations taken through the Events app are saved to Salesforce.
- The Actions app allows supporters to share your nonprofit’s message with decision-makers.
- Nonprofits can create tracking URLs for fundraising campaigns.
- Add-ons include custom design, user integration and peer-to-peer fundraising.
Nonprofits are charged every month, depending on how many apps are being used.
Nonprofits can use Soapbox Engagement from $49 per month. This is for one app per month.
The Standard plan starts from $99 per month for one app.
The first $10,000 of transactions each month is free. Nonprofits are only charged per transaction if they go over this amount. For many small to medium organizations, transaction fees won’t apply.
The Soapbox Engagement apps can help nonprofits boost fundraising efforts and engage with donors. The flat fee per month and the lack of transaction fees below $10,000 per month can be useful for budgeting.
Over to You
The right donation software can ramp up your fundraising efforts. It can also make it easier to manage relationships with donors. This is key for retaining more donors.
With so many options available, nonprofits can find it hard to decide which ones will work for them.
At Donorbox, we know how hard it is to find affordable donation tools that support your goals. That’s why we built an effective, low-cost solution to handle your online donations and attract more recurring donors.
Our donation software is helping more than 30,000 nonprofits to raise more funds.
For more tips on getting the most from your fundraising, take a look at the resources on our nonprofit blog.