Women Build is Habitat for Humanity's initiative designed to recruit, educate, and empower women to break stereotypes and fight poverty housing. Housing cost burden occurs when a family spends more than 30% of its income on shelter-related expenses which includes mortgage, rent, utilities, etc. What does that mean? A minimum wage earner in the Big Bend is under stress if his/her housing cost exceeds $377 per month.
How affordable is housing in the Big Bend? According to HUD, the 2022 fair market rent of a 2-bedroom apartment in the Big Bend area was $1,124 per month. According to the Office of Economic Vitality, the average sale price for a detached single-family home in Leon County was $260,000 in 2020.
To fight poverty housing among women and advocate for women's empowerment, Big Bend Habitat for Humanity has designated its next home as Women Build 2022, a build completely sponsored and built by women. Women Build will begin with a "Break the Bias" capital campaign kick-off event Tuesday, March 8th. This capital campaign kick-off will be an opportunity to introduce this year's campaign co-chairs, meet the Habitat family, and register your business/team to participate in Women Build 2022 on the construction site to raise awareness and funds to support this very important cause. Women Build 2022 will continue with groups and teams of women building onsite during designated Fridays and Saturdays through the end of June.
We need your support in helping us reach our $85,000 goal to cover the construction cost of the home to be located in Tallahassee.
- $5,000 Bias Breaker - Challenging five (5) teams to each donate $5,000
* Designated Build Day (20 ppl) * Company logo on Women Build t-shirt
* Women Build t-shirts (20) * Prominent placement on build site signage
* Listing in annual BBHH Annual Donor Report * Designated social media post
* Opportunity to speak at home dedication * Opportunity to sign the house
* Company name included in all media releases surrounding the build
- $2,500 Team Builder - Challenging twenty (20) teams to each donate $2,500
* Designated Build Day (10 ppl) * Team name on Women Build t-shirt
* Women Build t-shirts (20) * Social media recognition
* Opportunity to sign the house * Team name listed on build site sign
* Listing in BBHH Annual Donor Report
- $250 Women Builder (Individual Donor)
* Women Build t-shirt * Listing in BBHH Annual Donor Report