We are angry and heartbroken over the wholly unnecessary, and senseless deaths of six workers—as well as the numerous injuries and impacts to so many others—that occurred at an Amazon warehouse in Edwardsville, Illinois.
STL DSA stands in solidarity with these workers, as well as their families and loved ones. The chapter is donating $250 to a consolidated fund to support these workers and we are asking our members and supporters to also give what they can here.
While a tornado ultimately claimed the lives of Clayton Cope, Deandre Morrow, Etheria Hebb, Austin McElwen, Kevin Dickey, and Larry Virden, the conditions forced upon workers led to this tragedy. As long as we live under a system where capitalist profits are more important than workers' lives, tragedies like these are inevitable. We must fight for something better. We must fight for socialism.
In solidarity and in memory of the people who died:
- Deandre S. Morrow, 28, of St. Louis, Missouri
- Kevin D. Dickey, 62, of Carlyle, Illinois
- Clayton Lynn Cope, 29, of Alton, Illinois
- Etheria S. Hebb, 34, of St. Louis, Missouri
- Larry E. Virden, 46, of Collinsville, Illinois
- Austin J. McEwen, 26, of Edwardsville, Illinois