Promoting choice and control, HoardingUK's (HUK)holistic, integrated support provides a safe space. We do this through our diverse services including:
• National free and confidential helpline.
• In-Home specialist support (IHS) programme which is long-term practical and therapeutic support which changes lives and improves spaces.
• Individual remote advocacy which nationally has prevented 100% of threatened evictions and ensured people have their rights respected.
• Peer and professionally led group development (Award nominated by Chartered Institute of Housing/Inside Housing)
• Training, community talks, media and other awareness raising activities reached over 11,000 people last year.
• Student placement scheme (Awarded British Psychological Society Undergraduate Award, 2017) which increases skilled support capacity at the same time as bringing hoarding disorder awareness into colleges/universities.
• National Hoarding Conference/Roadshows hosted in London, Birmingham, and Wales. Virtual 2021. Upcoming Virtual ‘Who’s Got Capacity?’ May 16, 2022.
• Website which receives nearly 1,000,000 hits.
• Membership scheme with over 300 current members from all areas of those impacted.
• iCount! awareness raising campaign to have people who hoard counted.
HUK has challenged systemic, discriminatory practice within the most complex (and most prevalent at 2-5%) mental health condition which still – to this day – has people forced into interventions as if it is a ‘lifestyle choice’ instead of treated therapeutically, despite clinical recognition (ICD-11, 2018).
Upon hearing of this honour, our founder and Chair asked us to use this to raise funds to support our work.