Join the Beyond Family in creating a new level of apprenticeship for 2023.
We are fundraising to enable more peer mentors to create resiliency in their communities:
29th Nov until 14th December 2022
You can help nurture peer mentors to thrive and pass on what they learn to others.
A Message from MamaJ
This year has been tough in many ways but has also brought many blessings.
- COVID has continued to impact our ability to reach prison residents and funding opportunities
- Derrick & Omar have blossomed to go onto forge their own paths
- The prison letters and buddy scheme experienced a few hiccups but survived and is now enjoying new growth with our team of wonderful volunteers and new Co-ordinator Carola Mills
- I continue to write for Insidetime, the prison newspaper and receive letters each month in response
There have been many times when I’ve wanted to give up, feeling at the bottom of my resources. However! My belief in people and passion for uncovering their innate health always has me bouncing back!
This has brought about a number of new opportunities for 2023 which you can read about below.
New Stuff from 2022
- Providing our Insight to Wellbeing training programmes to non-profits like No Knives Better Lives and Bristol based Approved Premises for those leaving prison
- I’ve taken the opportunity to complete my book Wing of An Angel (documenting the amazing 6 years of working with people in prison)
- We were blessed to have a generous sponsorship opportunity to create a Mind Spa Retreat for professional mentoring. This has enabled us to include those who may not be able to afford this type of programme.
How can you help?
There are lots of ways you can support our mission:
The ‘Turn Over a New Leaf’ Crowd Funding Campaign is running from 29th November until 14th December 2022 to coincide with #GivingTuesday.
During this time, you can:
- Donate - however large or small - don't forget to leave a note on the wall :)
- Help us to share the love with likes and comments and shares on our socials or with friends and family.
- Send us a message if you're impacted by what we do - even if you're not able to donate, we still love to hear messages of support :)
Help create internships for people with lived experience over the next 12 months
Help continue our Distance Learning Programme and Buddy Scheme to reach more inmates and families
Contribute to the training of peer mentors to run groups and workshops in their own communities
- A new Bristol based partnership to run peer mentor programmes for people affected by addictions.
- A new app for people leaving prison - a Coach in your pocket. Developed in partnership with Fujitsu.
- Growth of our Distance Learning Programme and Buddies scheme for prison residents and their families.
- More facilitators and organisations using our Insight to Wellbeing Curriculum as a foundational resiliency programme.
- Working with youth at HMP Portland.
"I love life. Even though I’m locked up in this prison cell, I am a free man."
HMP Swaleside Resident
"If we face our fears & bring light to our lives, we can hopefully lead the way for others to do the same and make the world a better place."
HMP Brixton Resident
We know that human beings act from the level of thinking they have in the moment.
You can help to elevate that thinking.
You can increase compassion and pro-social behaviour.
You can support the development of people with lived experience.
You can increase the resiliency of communities.
About Beyond Recovery
Beyond Recovery is the innovative social enterprise, making a difference in communities through their resiliency programmes. Our programmes have made a proven difference to people with repeat offending behaviour, complex mental health issues, and drug and alcohol problems who are involved in the criminal justice system.
Directors: Jacqueline Hollows, Derrick Mason, Gary Burton
Acknowledgement: None of this would be possible without the wonderful work of Syd Banks and the Three Principles that he uncovered. Forever in gratitude. For more information on Mr Banks visit his website https://sydbanks.com/