Zakat al-Fitr 2023
The Messenger of Allah ﷺ obligated Zakat al-Fitr as purification of the fasting person from vain talk and misbehaviour, as food for the poor. Whoever pays it before the Eid prayer, it is accepted as Zakat. Whoever pays it after the Eid prayer, it is part of voluntary charity.
[Ibn Abbas, Source: Sunan Abī Dāwūd]
Do we pay Zakat al-Fitr in cash or in food?
- Zakat al-Fitr consists of giving ~ 2.03 - 3.25 kg of staple food in one's area to deserving reciepients
- The Hanafi school permits paying Zakat al-Fitr in the form of money (~$10 CAD / person)
Who is it obligatory on?
- Paying Zakat al-Fitr is obligatory on every Muslim (male, female, adult, child, sane, or not sane) providing he or she is in excess of their immediate needs.
When is it paid?
- The payment is due the morning (dawn) of Eid al-Fitr and can be paid anytime before it during Ramadan.
Does one pay Zakat al-Fitr for one’s children?
- Yes, the father is responsible for paying it on behalf of his dependants who are children.
- Dependants or children who have reached the age of puberty and are able to pay it may do so, or alternatively, the father or legal guardian may pay it on their behalf.