The Lighthouse Turns Four!
This spring marked our 4th birthday, but almost as soon as we began to celebrate with all of our wonderful friends and colleagues, our world changed. The world changed for every Black girl and woman. So we did the only thing we know how to do: We got to work.
For the past few months, we have been focused on helping Black girls and women stay connected, stay well, stay ready and stay creative. We’ve been able to do that with the amazing support of friends like you, which is why this week we are kicking off our belated birthday campaign.
In the last year, we have:
- Doubled our leadership cohort for college-aged young women and increased our footprint from 10 universities to 15
- Opened a satellite office on the campus of Millsaps College
- Launched a project that targets sexual exploitation and violence against women, particularly in rural areas
- Created a 10-week Community Health Ambassadors Training program to teach more than 150 high school students in rural Mississippi about reproductive justice and health
- Gained commitments from more funders to invest in our work moving forward
With your support, last year was one of our biggest growth spurts yet. You may know we like to envision our organization as a little Black girl, full of life, eager to take on new things and grow beyond her wildest dreams. We all know 4-year-olds need support to help make those dreams come true. That’s where you come in.
As the world adjusts to our new normal, we believe it is more important now than ever to show support to Black girls and women everywhere. Your generous investments have allowed us to earmark funds to fulfill needs we don’t always anticipate when applying for grants, such as helping a college student buy food, supplying internet service to a home without access or supplementing a young mother in paying a utility bill.
Last year you helped us raise nearly $5,000. Can you match that? Surpass it?
We work incredibly hard to use your support in a way that will make a beneficial impact on our community. Make a one-time or recurring donation, knowing the money we fundraise goes directly back into the work we champion.