The Lighthouse Turns Four!
Go, Lighthouse! It’s our birthday! This month join us in celebrating the 4th birthday of The Lighthouse | Black Girl Projects! We would like to take a moment to reflect on the incredible work we have done and what we aspire to do as we embark upon the organization’s fourth year.
In the last year, we have:
- Expanded our leadership cohort to 13 college-aged women in eight 4-year intuitions
- Opened a satellite office on the campus of Millsaps College
- Launched a project that targets sexual exploitation and violence against women, particularly in rural areas
- Created a 10-week Community Health Ambassadors Training program to teach more than 150 high school students in rural Mississippi about reproductive justice and health
- Gained commitments from more funders to invest in our work moving forward
With your support, last year was one of our biggest growth spurts yet. You may know we like to envision our organization as a little Black girl, full of life, eager to take on new things and grow beyond her wildest dreams. We all know 4-year-olds need support to help make those dreams come true. That’s where you come in.
With your support, we will be able to work with even more Black girls and women, help them discover the leaders they were meant to be, providing them the support to overcome many of the systemic challenges that keep too many of them from going after their dreams.
In celebration of our growth as a now 4-year-old organization, we are launching a birthday fundraising campaign with a goal of $4,000. Your generous investments allow us to earmark funds to fulfill needs we don’t always anticipate when applying for grants, such as helping a college student buy food or attend a conference or a young mother pay the utility deposit for her new home.
Last year you helped us raise nearly $5,000. Can you match that? Surpass it?
We work incredibly hard to use your support in a way that will make a beneficial impact on our community. Make a one-time or recurring donation, knowing the money we fundraise goes directly back into the work we champion.