Luena Foundation Refugee & Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) Crisis Relief Fund
We have established the Luena Foundation Child Refugee & Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) Crisis Fund to address the needs of the ~ 35 million children worldwide that have been forced from their homes by violent conflict, famine, disease, war, and natural disasters. This fund will focus on both the short-term needs (temporary shelter, food security, access to clean water, medical care) and the longer-term needs (resettlement, school integration, community connections) faced by refugees and IDPs all over the world.
Refugee Crises in 2022 to Watch
- Ukrainian refugees and IDPs affected by the Russian invasion (estimated population ~ up to 5 million children)
- Refugees in Cameroon fleeing violence in the Central African Republic and Boko Haram extremists in Nigeria; IDPs fleeing civil war in the northwestern parts of their country (estimated population ~ up to 1 million children)
- Refugees and IDPs in the Democratic Republic of Congo (the largest refugee crisis in Africa affecting more than 6 million people, more than half of who are women and children)
- Venezuelan refugees throughout South America (a total of ~ 5.6 million people)
- South Sudan 4 million people have been forcibly displaced since 2013
- Afghanistan 1 in 10 refugees today are people from Afghanistan who fled their country when their government fell to the Taliban in August 2021 (~2.6 million people)
- For the past 11 years, the Syrian refugee crisis remains the largest displacement crisis in the world. Nearly 5.7 million refugees, including almost 2.7 million children, have migrated throughout the middle east, with large concentrations in Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey.
Your support helps refugee and IDP children and their families by providing essentials like:
- Access to healthcare, clean water, and healthy, nutritious food
- Shelter and emergency supplies
- Supplies for women and girls that include clothing, hygiene products, and baby care items
- Vocational training for young people to make a new start in life
- Safe, inclusive places for children to play and learn
- School improvements, supplies, and adaptations designed to accommodate and integrate new children
- Psychological services and for children vulnerable to exploitation
Luena Foundation is a 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization (EIN 83-3302256) and your donation is tax-deductible within the guidelines of U.S. law. To claim a donation as a deduction on your U.S. taxes, please keep your email donation receipt as your official record. We’ll send it to you upon the successful completion of your donation.