SOS for Undocumented Immigrant Families
to Meet Basic Needs and Legal Defense
Right now Pacific County immigrant families are struggling to meet basic needs like food, rent, utilities and more. Most Pacific County adults are getting $1400 stimulus payments – but undocumented immigrants don’t qualify.
This spring PCIS anticipates that dozens of families will need help with:
- Basic Needs. Our cost is about $3,750/month for rent, utilities, medical costs, transportation, etc.). Diapers for 40 families cost $950/month. Many adults are still laid off, lacking monthly income.
- DACA Applications. Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) protects around 800,000 young people — known as “DREAMers” — who entered the United States unlawfully as children. We seek to help 11 Dreamers apply for DACA status – at a total PCIS cost of over $5,000 DACA does not grant official legal status or a pathway to citizenship, but it does allow you to apply for a driver’s license, social security number, and work permit.
- Legal Defense. Our cost is ~ $5,500 a month – we helped 19 families in 2020. Even when a person’s attorney fees are completely paid, we receive requests to pay for work permit renewals. And we anticipate the need to pay for appeals if an immigrant’s defense claim is initially denied.
- Citizenship Applications. We are helping 3 immigrants pay 50% of their application expense, at a total cost of $2,700 to PCIS.
Our recent PCIS COVID Relief Fund experience revealed that:
- 62% of the households had at least one member positive with COVID.
- 95% had loss of income during the pandemic.
- 72% had fallen behind in rent or mortgage payments.
Please give what you can - #ShareOurStimulus.
Please choose one of two ways to financially support Pacific County immigrant families impacted by COVID-19 and/or ICE arrest, detention and deportation:
- One time contribution, as large a gift as you can afford
- Monthly donation to ensure a dependable cash flow
Families need our support for legal support, rent, utilities, food and much more.
Help PCIS grow our Sustainers Circle – join your neighbors who provide a reliable ongoing donation each month. Even a small amount can make a huge difference as we meet our families' most urgent needs.
When you join our Sustainers Circle you
- - - Help with rent and utility payments and provide food for hungry families of detained and deported breadwinners.
- - - Provide funds for phone calls back home and legal support
- - - Add money in a commissary account to supplement meager meals provided at the NW Detention Center
- - - Buy gas for advocates who travel 100s of miles to support immigrant families facing legal hearings in Tacoma, Seattle or Portland
We wish we could tell you that the worst is over. We wish we could say the needs are dwindling. The truth is the need is growing.
Your donation directly supports our work assisting immigrant families. Pacific County Immigrant Support is a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) organization and your donations are tax deductible to the full amount allowed by law.
Donate here, or mail your check payable to PCIS, Box 156, Long Beach, WA 98631.