- The most vulnerable group in any disaster zone or war zone is children. In particular the highest vulnerability is among children who have no father.
- There are an estimated 2 million orphans in Afghanistan.
- Orphans have a high vulnerability to sexual abuse.
- Children suffer from chronic malnutrition and widespread occurrence of micro-nutrient deficiency. 1 in 10 children die before reaching the age of 5 years.
- A large proportion of orphans work in order to provide for themselves and their families. These children not only miss out on their education but also miss out on their childhoods.
- Lack of a normal childhood and education feeds into a cycle of underdevelopment thereby exacerbating problems in the future
Protection and development of children is the longterm solution.
Our focus therefore is on providing a nurturing environment where children are educated and do not have to worry about working or providing for their siblings.
Our orphans sponsorship programme will support an orphan with all of their basic necessities. Our condition for the orphan sponsorship is that the child must attend school on a regular basis. Where not all orphans from one family have been sponsored we top up the sponsorship from our general fund to ensure adequate food supply for the whole family.
We currently support over 200 orphans in this way and many more are on the waiting list.
Orphan sponsorship costs £30 per month or £360 per year and provides the child with food, educational support, clothing and healthcare.
Sponsorship of a child not only provides them with their basic necessities but also protects them from exploitation, violence, and sexual abuse