Wix has gained popularity in recent years as one of the premium website builders. Wix has been around for quite a while (circa 2006) and has more than 68 million users in 190 countries.
Wix began as a drag-and-drop website building platform, and it continues to be one, albeit much improved. Users can test out the tool on a free plan, which is enough to build a basic website. If you want more functionality or a proper domain name, you will have to choose one of their premium plans.
Wix is designed for people with little to no knowledge about creating a website. Anyone with a computer and an internet connection can build their own site.
You’ll be hard-pressed to find a successful nonprofit organization that doesn’t have a fantastic website and doesn’t provide a smooth digital donation experience to its donors.
Below you can read more about how to set up donations on your Wix site:
Ways to Set Up Donations on Wix
On Wix, there’s no easier way to accept both one-time and recurring donations than using a Donorbox donation form.
Since Wix now supports SSL, you can now embed your Donorbox form directly onto the Wix web page.
This way your donor doesn’t need to leave your site, which increases their sense of security (and consequently the number of donations).
However, some nonprofits opt for the ever so popular donation button, often to save space and make the donation page look more sleek and minimal.
How to Get a Wix Donate Button via Donorbox in 6 Easy Steps:
Go to your Donorbox dashboard and copy the URL for your secure donation page.
Then, go to your Wix website editor and, on the page on which you want to place your button, click the “Add” tab on the left-hand sidebar. Under “Image,” click “My Image Uploads”.
Upload the image for your donate button and click “Add to Page”. If you don’t have one, you can download the donate button image from Donorbox. See the below section on how to download the donate button image.
Above your donation button, click the link button.
In the new pop-up screen, select “Web Address” and paste the URL of your secure donation page.
Click done, publish your update website, and your personal Wix donate button will be ready to bring in some donations!
Clicking on the donate button will take you to your secure donation page such as the one below to allow you to accept recurring donations on Wix.
How to Download the Wix Donate Button Image from Donorbox
Go to your Donorbox dashboard and click “Donate Button” to the right of the campaign you wish to link to.
If you’d like to customize the color and the size of the Donorbox donate button shown below, head to your Donorbox dashboard and select “Donate Button.” Scroll down to “PNG Image Buttons”.
Here you can change the size and the color of the image for a more customized image. Right-click to save the desired image (preferably to your desktop for easier access).
2. Get Funding
Get Funding is an app developed by Wix. It features:
- Receiving money raised from site visitors, directly from your PayPal account.
- Sharing your goals and the number of donations you’ve received from site visitors.
- Changing the settings of your widget to fit your own personal needs.
How to Add and Set Up the Get Funding App in 10 Steps:
Step 1: Click Add Apps on the left side of the Editor and type “Get Funding” in the search field and press Enter.
Step 2: Click Add to Site next to the Get Funding app.
Step 3: Click the Get Funding app in the Editor.
Step 4: Click Settings.
Step 5: Click Connect Account.
Step 6: Enter your PayPal email address.
Step 7: Click Connect.
Step 8: Under Settings, set up the Get Funding app.
Step 9: Under Style, customize the style of the app.
Step 10: Under Texts, personalize and add your own text.
Tips on How to Encourage Your Visitors to Make a Donation
- Tell a story: People will only give money to your nonprofit if they resonate with your cause.
- Use real images: When you are getting your nonprofit off the ground stock images are fine, but as soon as you can, start using real images.
- Use a donation thermometer: Share progress towards your goals.
- Offer a range of donation options with one marked ‘most popular’: Utilize social pressure to persuade someone to give.
- Go public: Share what other supporters are saying about you.
- Thank donors: The best way to help ensure people know their contribution is making a difference is to tell them so.
- Consistent branding: Create a seamless donor experience across all marketing channels by maintaining the same branding throughout the donation process.
- Pick one call to action: If you’re looking for donations, don’t ask people to also follow you on Instagram.
- Have a clear goal: Define a clear purpose for the funds, e.g. launching a new program or purchasing a particular piece of equipment.
- Make your donation page stand out.