Help Waste Limited Clean Florida!
Waste Limited is engaging in frequent volunteer cleanups in Central Florida. Our teams are removing litter from streets, sidewalks and parks. We're using both high and low tech approaches to maximize efficiency. From trash cans strapped to our backs to electric trikes where the trash can is part of the vehicle. Waste Limited is testing stationary devices to collect litter that has already entered the water. Where litter goes, we go. The current board of Waste Limited is covering the administrative expenses, but donations are needed to cover the nuts and bolts costs of cleanups. Waste Limited has to pay:
1) Fees to the county dump for non recyclable material. The second most common reason people litter, after convenience, is the cost of trash service. The county does charge a lot, but that's no reason to litter! To be more precise, the county charges $11 for each truck or van entering the dump. The dump is about 30 minutes in each direction from our headquarters, so even if it were free, we would only go when our van was completely packed. Plastic recycling is something we don't pay for beyond transport, but we also don't make money on it. Same situation with most cardboard and paper. Some shredded paper we recycle entirely ourselves. Metal recycling is a minor profit on its own, but as a result it makes up less of the litter we see. The profit from metal can't cover the costs of recycling the other materials that we must recycle.
2) We have to pay for safety equipment for volunteers, like reflective vests. Outside of our literal mission statement, the safety of our volunteers is by far Waste Limited's biggest priority. Volunteers need to be visible at a distance and safe from drivers.
3) Most days call for a floppy hat and suntan lotion that doesn't add to pollution. Collisions aren't the only hazard to volunteers. The sun giveth and the sun taketh away.
Some jobs need safety glasses and a mask for volunteers, and we always need solid pairs of gardening gloves.
4) Litter sticks and grabbers are also on the menu. Specialized tools allow work on all jobs, allow comfortable work for longer, and most importantly allow participation by all volunteers. Accommodating volunteers so they can help clean up is a major part of our mission.
5) We occasionally need to buy the right size trash bag, but these are almost always donated. Likewise it's possible to get much of the material we need for research and prototyping donated, but every project requires something exact that must be bought, even if it's inexpensive.
Waste Limited is reflected in every part of our mission and in our accounting. Waste Limited will not spend a dollar on something we can get for free. We also will not spend a dollar on something we can get for .50 cents. Waste Limited reuses everything that can be reused, recycles what can be recycled and challenges the concept of Waste.