Help people and planet through education and empowerment in North Sumatra
A holiday in North Sumatra and an encounter with homeless families living in derelict buildings by one of our Founders Sue, led to Komorebi Foundation partnering with CareSumatra (based in North Sumatra). Through this partnership Komorebi is fundraising to help the overall community by creating sustainable programs in education and environment that will make an ongoing and real difference now and for future generations.
We would love to provide opportunities by helping CareSumatra set up schools for the children and empowering the women by assisting them to set up sustainable micro businesses that provide ongoing income, thereby increasing their dignity and self belief.
Komorebi’s goals for the next 12 months are:
1. Empowering the women by providing training and assisting them to set up sustainable micro businesses that provide ongoing income. Support the homeless women at the market with micro business initiatives and plastic up-cycling projects
2. Continue to support the Sunshine Class, free English and Indonesian lessons that we established for the homeless kids at the market, who desperately want to learn to read and write (buying white boards, equipment, mats, kids school packs, school resources, paying for school teacher salaries, etc)
3. Sponsor 6 teachers salaries at $50 a month per teacher at our free classes (Jungle School approx 30 kids and 2 teachers, Sunshine Class approx 40 kids and 2 teachers and Dream Class 2 teachers and approx 30 kids)
4. Build toilet and wash blocks for homeless and vulnerable families, that do not have water connected or toilets in their homes
5. RAIN FOREST RESCUE. Have you always wanted to help save the rainforest, but didn't know how? Join us to buy land to rescue the rainforest in the Batu Kapal Wildlife Corridor, piece by piece, metre by metre for less than the price of a cup of coffee a day!
6. TREES FOR LIFE. Help us restore and reconnect the Batu Kapal wildlife corridor through our TREES FOR LIFE reforestation program, to protect the long term survival of animals that live in this Wildlife Biolink, by protecting the ecosystem needed for their survival
Below is a list of the things of highest need, if you would like to help out
$15 for an English Indonesian dictionary
$25 for a school supplies pack
$30 for a school uniforms
$50 will support a teachers salary for 1 month. We currently have 6 teachers at our 3 free english classes.
Donations for the Women's Training and Micro Business Program for equipment and training materials, eg sewing machines, cooking or gardening equipment, laundry equipment, mobile phones, laptops, storage containers, chairs and tables to set up small eating places and stalls for the sale of their goods
Build toilet and wash blocks for the homeless and vulnerable families, $2500 per toilet block