Old - CareSumatra helping remote communities in North Sumatra through education and empowerment
When I was wandering through the market two years ago I stumbled across a group of about 40 families, mainly homeless women and children living in derelict buildings on public lands behind the markets. These beautiful people, through no fault of their own have ended up homeless due to circumstances beyond their control.
We would love to provide opportunities for the women and children to learn to read and write and help set up some micro business opportunities for them to provide dignity and some income for them.
CareSumatra's goals for next 12 months are to:
1. Support the homeless women at the market with micro business initiatives and plastic up-cycling projects
2. Continue to support the Sunshine Class, free English and Indonesian lessons that we established for the homeless kids at the market, who desperately want to learn to read and write (buying white boards, equipment, mats, kids school packs, school resources, paying for school teacher salaries, etc)
3. Sponsor 6 teachers salaries at $50 a month per teacher at our free classes (Jungle School approx 30 kids and 2 teachers, Sunshine Class approx 40 kids and 2 teachers and Dream Class 2 teachers and approx 30 kids)
4. Build toilet and wash blocks for homeless and vulnerable families, that do not have water connected or toilets in their homes
5. RAIN FOREST RESCUE. Have you always wanted to help save the rainforest, but didn't know how? Join us to rescue the rainforest in the Batu Kapal Wildlife Corridor, piece by piece, metre by metre for less than the price of a cup of coffee a day!
6. Help us restore and reconnect the Batu Kapal wildlife corridor through our TREES FOR LIFE reforestation program, to protect the long term survival of animals that live in this Wildlife Biolink, by protecting the ecosystem needed for their survival
Below is a list of the things of highest need, if you would like to help out
$15 for an English Indonesian dictionary
$25 for a school supplies pack
$30 for a school uniform
$50 for a teachers salary a month per teacher, for 6 teachers
Donations for equipment to set up micro business opportunities for the women
Build toilet and wash blocks for the homeless and vulnerable families, $2500 per toilet block