June 5, 2021, 4-6 p.m. CST - ONLINE Farm to Table Cooking Class by Food Jobs Work
Online event: Saturday, June 5, 4-6 p.m. CST (2-4 PST, 5-7 EST)
We're just starting to venture out back into the world, and one of our first stops has been the local farmers' market. With this class by Chef Christie Ison and Chef Lauren McCants of Food Jobs Work, you'll learn how to turn your local market treasures into delicious meals!
What we'll cover in class:
- Choosing veggies and proteins at your local market
- Basic knife skills for preparing your veggies
- Cooking basics to get the most out of your purchases and show off their beauty
- A few tricks to make even the most novice cooks look like master chefs!
- A cook-along of at least two meals you can use to wow friends and family.
- A question-and-answer session
For a $100 donation, you will receive:
- One viewing link (For one device, but more than one person can watch)
- Instructions on purchasing items to cook along if you wish
- A supply list of cooking tools to gather
- Printable worksheets with tips on farmers' market purchasing, cooking basics, knife skill basics, food safety, and more
- Printable recipes for the cook-along, plus extras for later!
NOTE: Printables and instructions will be sent by email to the address provided with your donation at least two weeks before the event. If you purchase before then, please know the items will come later.
About Food Jobs Work:
We uplift at-risk adults (those who have experienced incarceration, homelessness, addiction, poverty, and other challenges) through culinary workforce training and practice. Our students go through a 6-week intensive culinary training program, including both practical and soft skills to move their lives forward. They then work for our social enterprise programs, including Comeback Kitchen (our retail food products) and Food Jobs Work Community Meals (chef-crafted meals for those in need), and we ultimately help them find culinary work in the community.
More here: https://foodjobs.work/about.html