2021 CareSumatra - Empowering the Youth of North Sumatra
A holiday in North Sumatra and an encounter with families living in derelict buildings by our Co-Founder Sue Delaney, has led to creating programs to support the young men and women living in these remote rural communities to give them the practical skills, experience and opportunities needed to reach their full potential.
This youth program is based at Batu Kapal where community based conservation, volunteering and tourism programs are run. The program aims to empower young people by providing them with skills and hands on work experience in:
- Wildlife monitoring program
- Seed collecting, plant propagation and reforestation activities
- Youth ranger program
- Camera trap program
- Waste recycling and upcycling programs
- Tourism, hospitality and volunteer programs
- Written and spoken English and
- Computers and technology
This youth program gives young people a better understanding about nature and the importance of environment they live in as well as provide them with the confidence and experience essential for them to be able to:
- seek employment in areas of conservation as guides and rangers
- seek work in tourism and hospitality in local guest houses or local tourism and trekking companies, or
- start their own sustainable micro business in areas such as a plant nursery, eco-tour company, homestay or warung (local eating house)
We continue to support the education of children at our Sunshine Class, Dream Class and Jungle School programs, providing free English, Indonesian and environmental lessons by supporting teacher salaries, buying white boards, equipment, mats, kids school packs and school resources.
We would love you to join us to empower the young men and women living in this remote community.
During their six month placement, the trainees are paid an allowance and their food and accommodation are provided for them.
With your help I believe together we can truly make a difference to these young people's lives and give them hope for their future.
Thank you for your ongoing support