Every child deserves the opportunity to lead a healthy and fulfilling life. But in South Africa, millions of children are born into tragic situations that deprive them of this basic human right.
Born into poverty, disease, abuse, or neglect, children are deprived of the resources needed for healthy physical and psychological development. Despite their drive, intelligence, or natural potential, their futures are limited by their starting point in life.
At Intsikelelo, our goal is to improve these children’s conditions by creating resources and opportunities at a community level. Working directly with families, foster parents, teachers, and community leaders, we design and launch impactful projects together— capturing local insights, prioritizing cultural sensitivity, and creating meaningful opportunities for children to lead healthy and fulfilling lives. These projects range from nutritious food for developing children to empowering opportunities for ambitious adults.
We are currently fundraising to sponsor a variety of future projects in Langbos.
Your donation will directly fund:
• Nutritious daily meals for preschool children to improve health and development
• Educational sponsorships to send more young men and women to college in 2018
• Training and employment of adult community members as home-based carers, caregivers, and gardeners, in order to create upward mobility through skills training and dignified work
• Further development of the Langbos Community Centre, Creche, Children's Shelter and community garden, including maintenance of solar, biogas, and greywater recycling systems
• Various supplies for the Langbos Creche & Care Center, as needed, such as school and medical supplies and ePap fortified porridge for malnourished individuals
Donations go directly to projects in Langbos, and 0% of your donation is spent on Intsikelelo overhead or administrative costs. Intsikelelo is a registered U.S. 501(c)(3) nonprofit, and donations are tax-deductible within the U.S.
Our donation platform DonorBox charges a small .89% fee, and credit cards typically charge a transaction fee between 2.2% - 3.5%. To avoid all platform fees by sending a physical check, please contact us.
Our work in Langbos:
Langbos is a rural informal settlement with no running water, roads, or electricity. Together with dedicated members of the Langbos community and passionate funders around the world, we have launched a variety of impactful projects since 2015, including:
• Conducting a community-wide census that gathered insightful data about health, education, employment, safety, and culture from over 450 residents
• Distributing solar-powered lights to over 150 off-grid homes, providing a safe, efficient, and renewable alternative to dangerous paraffin (kerosene) lamps
• Registering the Langbos Creche (preschool) with the South African Department of Social Development and South African Revenue Service, earning their tax-exempt status in South Africa and first-ever government funding
• Sponsoring security for the community center, as well as educational and medical supplies to support the preschool
• Constructing the Langbos Children's Shelter, a project that trained and employed over 30 Langbos community members, providing an income, nutritious meals, professional development, and a chance for the community to build their own infrastructure to protect their most vulnerable children
This year, we've served over 15,000 meals, trained and employed over 30 impoverished adults for a combined 35,000 hours of paid community-centered work, and sponsored Langbos' first woman to attend college.
It is an honor for us to work on behalf of these children and communities. Your donation will directly fund projects that change lives. We are excited to share this opportunity and grateful for your involvement.
Click the links below to share this page on your preferred social media: