Beer City Recovery
- 16.9% of members working in the accommodations and food service industries reported substance abuse in the last year
- 11.5% reported heavy alcohol in the last month
- 19.1% reported illicit drug use in the last month
Food service workers are consistently in the top 3 fields to suffer from substance abuse yet are severely underrepresented in the recovery community. This is not just in Grand Rapids but nation wide. Beer City Recovery is working had to fix the situation here in our community.
Grand Rapids is widely known as Beer City USA. You can find a brewery, bar, or liquor store on nearly every corner. That title was gained by the servers, bartenders, cooks, barbacks, distributors of the food/beverage/service industry. We owe a debt of pleasure to members who make up that community, and so many of them are isolated in their pain and illness.
Our meetings focus on the struggles of being surrounded by your vices, staying strong, and helping maintain your own pathway of recovery.
At Beer City Recovery our mission is to create a safe, welcoming, judgment-free recovery community for members and their families of the food/beverage/service industry and members of their family by:
- empowering them to take control of their addiction
- offering funds to attend detox and/or rehab
- offer limited funds for members to attain and attend limited counseling sessions
- providing a fellowship of peers who are experiencing similar qualms fo attempting sobriety/harm reduction in an environment saturated with alcohol and recreational drugs
- teaching coping and life skills sans substances