I'm Amelia May Johnson and I'm running for Clark County, Arkansas Justice of the Peace, District 8 as a populist, conservative, and pro-life for the whole life Democrat. I'm a non-denominational Christian, web designer, and state lead for Democrats for Life of Arkansas. As a bisexual, transgender woman I'm a strong advocate for LGBT+ rights from a Christian perspective and I also advocate for universal healthcare, 2nd Amendment rights, and the consistent life ethic.
I was raised a MAGA, Trump-loving Republican, but became a Democrat after seeing just how hateful and extremist the GOP is. I still have Republican friends and family members, and support bipartisan solutions to our problems, but I cannot support a party that passes anti-LGBT law after anti-LGBT law, fights against any and all progress on economic issues, and tries to overturn elections when they lose.
I want to give the people of Amity, part of Alpine (which was split between districts 8 and 6 as part of the GOP’s gerrymander), and the surrounding areas a choice. This is especially important at a time when our democracy is under attack. I realize I'm unlikely to win, and I have nothing personal against the incumbent, but it's important to give people a perspective other than far-right extremism, to show people you can be a Democrat, transgender, and pro-life, and to make one less election go unopposed in 2024.
If elected, my priorities are:
- Strongly supporting Justice Ankton's livestream ordinance to make county government more transparent
- Raising county employee pay to a living wage of at least $14/hr, especially for employees of the Sheriff's Office
- Reigning in the Economic Development Corporation by repealing and replacing the weak, Republican guidelines ordinance
- Adding Clark County to the growing list of counties declaring their support for the right to life and the 2nd Amendment
- Fiscal responsibility; paying for what needs to be paid for, like roads and the Sheriff's Office, while maintaining a balanced budget
- Cutting taxes for working-class people
- Standing up to GOP extremism
Thank you for your support and don't forget to vote in 2024!